Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Serenity Prayer

Dear little baby growing on the other side of the world,

Hopefully one day when you are older you'll be able to read all of the entries in this blog and better understand the journey we took to bring special you into this world.

By now you've hopefully become a good-natured and well behaved young person (hehe) so you've probably heard me repeat things such as life lessons many times. And I've probably heard many times, "Daaaaddd, not this again!" Things such as:

1) Always treat people the way you would want to be treated
2) Family first and
3) We can't dwell on things we can't control... but we must learn from them and move on

Even at age 31, I am still learning how to accept things that happen to me which I can't control and your grandmother even remarked so today. For some, it's a life-long process. Take this week's episode, for instance. (And it's only Tuesday! ;_; )

Yesterday I was walking to my car after work. When I got to it I saw this:


Someone had stolen my tire right off my car and left me alone, stranded in a mall parking lot. Naturally, one's reaction is to get upset... which I was. I felt wronged and still can't believe that someone lacking that degree of morals and ethics would do that to another human being. But ultimately, this happened, I have to accept it and move forward. It is not worth dwelling over and thankfully I had my family to help me and support me. Also try to remember that things could always be worse. In my case, the thief could have taken the jack and left the bare wheel touching the ground which most likely would have done damage. However, regardless of one's problems, there is always someone else in the world that could be having a worse day than yours.

So as you can see this is a good lesson in a) treating others the way you would want to be treated, b) family first and c) not dwelling on things we can't control but learn from them and move forward.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

7 comments:

  1. I never understand why the theifs only steal one tire?! A very courteous theif who left the jack bar for you.....
    I say the serenity prayer alot, and sometimes, like Mr Costanza I yell "serentity now!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great attitude, but geez, flogging your front tyre is a shitty act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to have Family around, for sure.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :)

    Haha Kerrie! Is that an episode of Seinfeld? I don't remember that... which one would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Borrowed from the web...
    "The Serenity Now" is the 159th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld. This was the 3rd episode of the 9th and final season. It aired in the U.S. on October 9, 1997.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The serenity prayer has definitely gotten me through some tough stuff over the years.

    Left the jack, some humanity...LOL!

    ReplyDelete