Today was a milestone!
I told my closest friend and colleague at work about my baby and it felt great! That may sound silly but none of my friends that are in my life on a day to day basis know, he was the first I told. I do have one other friend that knows but I only communicate with her sporadically and haven't seen in her in years since she lives in a different city. I hadn't planned on telling him today but I did thanks in part to prescription meds for a migraine I had, as I was feeling loopy and just went for it.
The discussion originally began in my office where we were just talking about changes at work. Then it transformed into larger life discussions about careers etc and I said we should talk about the future sometime next week. Then he obviously wanted to know what I meant but I just downplayed it as no big deal and I said we'd talk more next week at lunch together or after work over a drink one day. However the horse had left the barn at that point and we both had to walk the same 5 blocks to our cars so I decided to reveal all on the walk.
It started to rain as we were walking and I pulled out my iPhone to show the ultrasound pics. The reveal and reaction was surreal. I'll probably never forget it. He looked at the picture and then looked at me, totally bewildered with his mouth open. "NO WAY" and then confusion. "Who is she?" he said. "Who is she, what?" I said and then awkwardness LOL. I was nervous but was then finally able to tell the whole story! It felt wonderful. Only my family has known up until now because it has been such a roller coaster ride and I had really isolated myself.
I feel great, he's a really understanding and deep individual in general, on a journey, looking for something, and we share so many things in common that the discussion was easy. I went into what the name will be if it's a boy and what it will be if it's a girl. I'm sure there will be more questions next week haha. I was relieved to know he was genuinely surprised as I thought up until now this had been my worst kept secret. Last week another friend sent an e-mail to me and our group of friends, inviting everyone to go out for dinner next week because someone in the group was moving away to the U.S. over a girl, which was a surprise to everyone. Except, the girl who sent the e-mail to the group decided it would be funny to title the subject line, "Toban is getting married" to get everyone's attention. After revealing the news in the e-mail about our friend moving away, she then asked if I had an announcement to make. To which I had to make some lame unfunny joke about announcing I have an addiction to cake or something to not make things awkward. (As I really do have an announcement to make [the baby] but just not to them and not at this time).
Then earlier this month on April 1, I had left my desk unattended for a few minutes and it just so happened I was logged into my Facebook as well. As you can imagine, some pranksters thought it would be hilarious (and it was afterwards) to go into my Facebook and put my status as, "I just found out I'm going to be a dad! I'm sooo happy!" Of course, my colleagues at work who did this don't actually know I really am going to be a dad, it was just coincidence they had chosen to use that to prank me. A few minutes later I got an e-mail from the colleague responsible saying, "I just saw your Facebook status, congrats!" Needless to say I quickly removed that status before anyone could see and had to act surprised and as if that really was the most hilarious thing in the world, "OH GUYS! YOU SURE GOT ME!"
My friend and colleague from today is getting married in September and they'll be trying to have a baby then so I'm happy that we're all starting new chapters in our lives and I'm happy that we can talk about it now.
I told my closest friend and colleague at work about my baby and it felt great! That may sound silly but none of my friends that are in my life on a day to day basis know, he was the first I told. I do have one other friend that knows but I only communicate with her sporadically and haven't seen in her in years since she lives in a different city. I hadn't planned on telling him today but I did thanks in part to prescription meds for a migraine I had, as I was feeling loopy and just went for it.
The discussion originally began in my office where we were just talking about changes at work. Then it transformed into larger life discussions about careers etc and I said we should talk about the future sometime next week. Then he obviously wanted to know what I meant but I just downplayed it as no big deal and I said we'd talk more next week at lunch together or after work over a drink one day. However the horse had left the barn at that point and we both had to walk the same 5 blocks to our cars so I decided to reveal all on the walk.
It started to rain as we were walking and I pulled out my iPhone to show the ultrasound pics. The reveal and reaction was surreal. I'll probably never forget it. He looked at the picture and then looked at me, totally bewildered with his mouth open. "NO WAY" and then confusion. "Who is she?" he said. "Who is she, what?" I said and then awkwardness LOL. I was nervous but was then finally able to tell the whole story! It felt wonderful. Only my family has known up until now because it has been such a roller coaster ride and I had really isolated myself.
I feel great, he's a really understanding and deep individual in general, on a journey, looking for something, and we share so many things in common that the discussion was easy. I went into what the name will be if it's a boy and what it will be if it's a girl. I'm sure there will be more questions next week haha. I was relieved to know he was genuinely surprised as I thought up until now this had been my worst kept secret. Last week another friend sent an e-mail to me and our group of friends, inviting everyone to go out for dinner next week because someone in the group was moving away to the U.S. over a girl, which was a surprise to everyone. Except, the girl who sent the e-mail to the group decided it would be funny to title the subject line, "Toban is getting married" to get everyone's attention. After revealing the news in the e-mail about our friend moving away, she then asked if I had an announcement to make. To which I had to make some lame unfunny joke about announcing I have an addiction to cake or something to not make things awkward. (As I really do have an announcement to make [the baby] but just not to them and not at this time).
Then earlier this month on April 1, I had left my desk unattended for a few minutes and it just so happened I was logged into my Facebook as well. As you can imagine, some pranksters thought it would be hilarious (and it was afterwards) to go into my Facebook and put my status as, "I just found out I'm going to be a dad! I'm sooo happy!" Of course, my colleagues at work who did this don't actually know I really am going to be a dad, it was just coincidence they had chosen to use that to prank me. A few minutes later I got an e-mail from the colleague responsible saying, "I just saw your Facebook status, congrats!" Needless to say I quickly removed that status before anyone could see and had to act surprised and as if that really was the most hilarious thing in the world, "OH GUYS! YOU SURE GOT ME!"
My friend and colleague from today is getting married in September and they'll be trying to have a baby then so I'm happy that we're all starting new chapters in our lives and I'm happy that we can talk about it now.

It's good to share. And better for your health if you don't hold things in. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteAnd I would be totally pissed if someone did that on my Facebook page.
Your Friend, m.
Haha! I was definitely pissed on the inside but had to go along with it and be all smiles on the outside! lol
ReplyDeleteYou're definitely right about sharing. Lesson learned for when I go for baby #2 in a few years! :)
Sharing takes some of the aniety away...not much, but some. Not long before you are back for baby pick up!
ReplyDelete