Today was our scheduled day to go to the FRRO. It's interesting that this is what we expected to give us the biggest headache but ultimately proved to be the smoothest experience. And hopefully last as we're on a plane back home Monday night.
This morning we got up early (around 4am as Orion was hungry), then we left our hotel at around 7:30am to be there for after 9am (didn't want to take any chances with potential traffic). The streets were essentially empty and we got there at 8:30am. The officers at the door wouldn't let us wait inside until 9am which was unfortunate because it was absolutely pouring. So our driver took us around the Gateway of India area which is beautiful no matter what the weather conditions are. There are some fine looking apartments/condos/hotels around there which are directly on the water. Including the usual upscale boutiques such as Louis Vuitton etc. After the drive we went back to the FRRO office and there was lineup. Thankfully, I had hired help to coordinate everything with the FRRO officers so he was there waiting for us and did all the talking. We bypassed the lineup and he went did all the initial paperwork and preliminary discussions with the FRRO officer. All I had to do was take my documents to the assigned booth, answer several questions, handover my documents and then I returned to the main waiting room area where my mom, dad and Orion were. After waiting for about 20 minutes, I paid the necessary fees and then after another 15 minutes, the FRRO officer returned to see me in the main waiting room area to give me Orion's exit visa. Then we left! All in all we were only there for about 2 hours. The hired help was definitely worth it.
By the time we left, the waiting room was packed and starting to get a little chaotic, even for a Saturday. The 3rd floor, where the FRRO offices are were kept cool by ceiling fans and the rooms were fairly well lit. The FRRO officer asked me questions such as: am I married, why I'm not married (I asked her if she knew anyone/had any friends lol, which got a smile), what my occupation is in Canada, if I'm an only child, if my sisters are married (I was like wtf to that last one).
While we were in the waiting room, we met some really nice people. First, a couple were there from Australia who were there to start the process with my doctor and clinic. I gave them my e-mail, hopefully we'll stay in touch. They weren't aware of the warm and supportive blogging community we have so it would be nice to introduce them to that and my blog! Secondly, there was a man there who was from the States and working on the special effects for a Bollywood film that is tentatively titled, "Krish 3" which I'll have to look for when it comes out.
I'm looking forward to going home Monday night, I can't believe this journey is coming to an end. This morning when we were driving to the FRRO, I saw a billboard that said, "Life begins when the road ahead ends." So true! This road has come to an end but once we get home, my life at home with Orion and my family can begin. I've learned so much from my time here in the last month and on this journey in the last 3 years in general. I could have not done any of this without the support of my family who have done so much for me and especially more specifically my mom and dad who came to be here for the birth of Orion and also support and help me. I've already begun thinking in the back of my mind about the sequel (hehe) and coming back for baby number 2 in a few years (hopefully a daughter - sister for Orion!) We'll see where life takes us in the meantime and if it leads us to that. If we do come back, I have a better idea now of what to do, what not to do, where to stay, where not to stay, etc.
For now though, I just feel happy and at peace knowing that the last 3 years, through all the ups and downs, tears, anxiety, loss, milestones, excitement, joy, adventures were all worth it when I see this smile.
Daddy loves you, Orion!
This morning we got up early (around 4am as Orion was hungry), then we left our hotel at around 7:30am to be there for after 9am (didn't want to take any chances with potential traffic). The streets were essentially empty and we got there at 8:30am. The officers at the door wouldn't let us wait inside until 9am which was unfortunate because it was absolutely pouring. So our driver took us around the Gateway of India area which is beautiful no matter what the weather conditions are. There are some fine looking apartments/condos/hotels around there which are directly on the water. Including the usual upscale boutiques such as Louis Vuitton etc. After the drive we went back to the FRRO office and there was lineup. Thankfully, I had hired help to coordinate everything with the FRRO officers so he was there waiting for us and did all the talking. We bypassed the lineup and he went did all the initial paperwork and preliminary discussions with the FRRO officer. All I had to do was take my documents to the assigned booth, answer several questions, handover my documents and then I returned to the main waiting room area where my mom, dad and Orion were. After waiting for about 20 minutes, I paid the necessary fees and then after another 15 minutes, the FRRO officer returned to see me in the main waiting room area to give me Orion's exit visa. Then we left! All in all we were only there for about 2 hours. The hired help was definitely worth it.
By the time we left, the waiting room was packed and starting to get a little chaotic, even for a Saturday. The 3rd floor, where the FRRO offices are were kept cool by ceiling fans and the rooms were fairly well lit. The FRRO officer asked me questions such as: am I married, why I'm not married (I asked her if she knew anyone/had any friends lol, which got a smile), what my occupation is in Canada, if I'm an only child, if my sisters are married (I was like wtf to that last one).
While we were in the waiting room, we met some really nice people. First, a couple were there from Australia who were there to start the process with my doctor and clinic. I gave them my e-mail, hopefully we'll stay in touch. They weren't aware of the warm and supportive blogging community we have so it would be nice to introduce them to that and my blog! Secondly, there was a man there who was from the States and working on the special effects for a Bollywood film that is tentatively titled, "Krish 3" which I'll have to look for when it comes out.
I'm looking forward to going home Monday night, I can't believe this journey is coming to an end. This morning when we were driving to the FRRO, I saw a billboard that said, "Life begins when the road ahead ends." So true! This road has come to an end but once we get home, my life at home with Orion and my family can begin. I've learned so much from my time here in the last month and on this journey in the last 3 years in general. I could have not done any of this without the support of my family who have done so much for me and especially more specifically my mom and dad who came to be here for the birth of Orion and also support and help me. I've already begun thinking in the back of my mind about the sequel (hehe) and coming back for baby number 2 in a few years (hopefully a daughter - sister for Orion!) We'll see where life takes us in the meantime and if it leads us to that. If we do come back, I have a better idea now of what to do, what not to do, where to stay, where not to stay, etc.
For now though, I just feel happy and at peace knowing that the last 3 years, through all the ups and downs, tears, anxiety, loss, milestones, excitement, joy, adventures were all worth it when I see this smile.
Daddy loves you, Orion!

Congrats on the exit visa! Bummer the FRRO lady couldn't set you up on a blind date before you left :)
ReplyDeleteK
He is just delish!!! What a picture perfect cutie!! YAY for heading home!!!! Enjoy the long flight and getting settled at home Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteCongrats and safe travels!!!
ReplyDeleteMust be a wonderful feeling to know you are going home soon. And to look back and know it was all worth it. Great post...have a wonderful next couple days in Mumbai.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for your final days in India. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll miss some of the quirky things you experienced.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
Congrats on the FRRO. Wishing you Orion and your parents a safe flight home ;)
ReplyDelete