Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, February 22, 2013

Update for Canadians

I can't believe that this July, it will already have been 2 years since Orion was born. I think about India every day; running in the rain with my mom at night, carrying Orion around in his carrier, my dad the wandering traveller being happy there in his element, the Eid celebrations, the people we met and helped us along in our journey... it will always be in my heart. Every day I also think about when will be the right time to go back just to visit or maybe go back and try for a sibling for Orion.

I've had people write me though and people post on my blog that things are becoming increasingly difficult. Not only difficult with these new guidelines being issued (which I hope fade away and never become law) on behalf of the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs but also difficult with the Canadian High Commission in India. What was once a simplified 4-6 week wait to get home after the baby was born has turned into a logistical nightmare with the wait being upwards of over 2 months. What the heck happened?

For one, apparently now the DNA tests are only done in Delhi and I think only once a month. Before, the DNA testing could be scheduled within days of the baby being born. I had to write the High Commission to express my concerns:


"The reason for my e-mail is that it has recently been brought to my attention that Canadians now in India for the birth of their children, are now effectively stuck there for up to 2 months or more due to an apparent lapse in procedure on behalf of the Canadian High Commission there. This is very concerning as there seems to be a lot of uncertainty and distress amongst Canadians there now, as to how long much longer they will be there for with their newborn children, waiting to come home to Canada.


I can relate to this as I was there myself in 2011 for the birth of my son, which is why, in part, I wanted to take action and write to you. Thankfully during my time in India, there seemed to be an efficient and sensical process in place at the time where I was able to have the DNA testing done and receive the baby’s temporary passport in Mumbai all within 4-6 weeks. For some reason, two steps backwards seems to have been taken with the approach now, as the process in getting them home is reportedly taking up to 2+ months. For example, the DNA testing is now only being done in Delhi, complicating things as Canadians must fly there with their newborn babies from wherever they may be in India. Canadians who are there now are feeling helpless and stuck in India with their newborn babies and are looking to the Canadian government for help in getting home in an efficient manner.


Is there any immediate relief that can be done to get the process streamlined back down to 4-6 weeks or less? Are there plans for any clear guidance (in the form of a bulletin, etc) to be issued to Canadians who may be going for the first time/returning to India or who are there in India now, waiting to return home with their children so that it is less confusing, distressing and more efficient to get Canadians home in a reasonable timeframe?

Sincere thanks for giving this issue your attention."

I was quite surprised that I got a response the very next business day!

"The High Commissioner has asked me to respond to your email on his behalf.   

I appreciate you taking the time to write and voice your concerns on behalf of Canadian citizens. 

As you may know, DNA tests are generally requested only in cases where a child is born through assisted reproduction or surrogacy.  DNA tests are requested by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to ensure that the child has a claim to Canadian citizenship.  Until a claim is established, Passport Canada will not authorize consular officials to issue a travel document for the child and family to return to Canada.  We understand that delays can be frustrating for parents, however there is a need to protect the integrity of the citizenship/passport process that cannot be overlooked.   

We are working to clarify the procedures and to incorporate information related to recent changes introduced by the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs regarding children born through surrogacy.  Once these are ready, the information will be published on our website."

This is a start; I'm glad that recognition and guidance will be available on their website for those looking for it. But for those in India now, waiting... I can't imagine feeling that stress of being a new parent, now coupled with the uncertainty of the process in getting home. I really really hope both the Indian and Canadian governments can iron out the mess they've created and get back to the simplified and streamlined approach and process they had in place previously so people can get on with their lives.

9 comments:

  1. Toban, having benn through all of this yourself I can't imagine how difficult it would be to see these simple procedures change. Fingers crossed that things improve and you all get clarity on the Indian- Canadian process. Especially because Orion is being very patient about having a sib. Good luck and great to hear you "voice" on here. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug :) One would expect the natural progression to go in the direction of an efficient and simplified process, not the other way around. It seems like things are going backwards, sideways... every way but forward! Ultimately I will roll with what the universe deals me and it seems like until this cloud of uncertainty with the processes is fixed, the universe is telling me to just focus on Orion, love him and love life :)

      Delete
  2. Like you, memories of being in India with my brand new newborns last year provide an emotional high and will forever fill me with joy and gratitude. At times it all seems surreal... the birth of the twins and the experiences that followed... small things and big... India is such an amazing and great place to be. I'm confident India will get the balance right with surrogacy and sincerely hope plenty more people will be able enjoy their own experiences of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, well said :) Glad that someone can relate to those feelings and memories. You have two beautiful boys, by the way! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toban,

    I'm experiencing this right now! My wife and I are expecting twins in June. We were under the impression that we could complete the whole exit process in Mumbai in under six weeks. I contacted the consulate and this is the response:

    "Please see the attached forms and documents for your reference. You will have to travel with the child to the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi to submit the DNA samples. The whole process can take about 8 to 10 weeks. Please get in touch with me after you have the original birth certificate of the child and all other required documents."

    I followed up as that is NOT the process I was expecting and the thought of having to travel to ND with the children is just creating more stress for me. I followed up with him, asking if I could complete the procedure in Mumbai.

    "The DNA sample collection is no longer done in Mumbai and therefore you will have to fly to New Delhi with the child(ren) once they give you the appointment. This is only done after you have all the necessary documents in hand and the citizenship and passport applications are made at the Consulate in Mumbai. As mentioned earlier in my email, the process can take upto a minimum if 8 to 10 weeks."

    So obviously my wife and I are stressed out, and I'm hoping that this isn't the case. Do you have any more info on this from anyone?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, first of all congratulations! Second, I'm trying to find someone at CIC that I can get in touch with who can provide additional details on why the DNA testing was changed and what can be done to change it back. I will send an e-mail on Monday and share my correspondence with you when I get a response.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Toban, appreciate any assistance you can provide.

      Delete
  5. Toban, I'm just checking to see if you got anywhere with CIC?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, I did end up getting a contact name at CIC but have not heard back yet. I will send a follow-up e-mail from work tomorrow and then let you know. I can forward it to you if you'd prefer e-mail correspondence. Just leave me your e-mail here (I won't publish it). Or I can summarize in this thread what they say when they write back... whichever you prefer.

      Delete